Tailgating Safety Tips
- Keep food at a safe temperature while transporting from home to the game
- Keep foods separated in plastic bags
- When packing the cooler, be sure raw meat and poultry are wrapped securely and separately
- Don’t let food sit out for hours
- If you serve any fish/shellfish make sure your party guests don’t have allergies. Don’t use the same cook surface for fish and other meat.
- Even on cloudy days, you may have a need for sunscreen
- Drink lots of water
- Pack lots of ice to keep food fresh
- Try to monitor drinking; there is nothing worse than a drunk football fan
- If you use a grill, make sure you follow all manufactures safety instructions
- Don’t use a grill close to any vehicles
- Keep lighter fluid away from grill or heat
- Always have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit on hand
- If you use charcoal briquettes, cool them down prior to storage. A good method is to place them in a bucket of water.
Remember that the goal is to have a fun and safe time while cheering for your team. We want everyone to get home safe. But if something were to happen, remember you want the right kind of personal insurance to protect yourself.